TN: 2009 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave St. Joseph (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph)

• 2009 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (8/18/2020)
    Someone on CellarTracker said this was headed downhill. They have zero idea what they are talking about, or their bottle was damaged. This wine is just starting to reach what good Northern Rhône Syrah is supposed to be. It’s still a bit stern/clenched on the palate, but the aromatics have begun to soar. Floral, roasted meat, warm tar, olives, smoke, it’s all there, along with deep red fruit that is flecked with iron. It’s firm on the palate, almost to the point of austerity, but then, on the finish, it fans out like the proverbial peacock tail, and all the complexity of the aromatics are repeated, like the chorus of a favorite song, repeated and repeated as it fades away. Mesmerizing.

Posted from CellarTracker

I didn’t get that either, I tried my first one since release fairly recently but it was all structure, still with everything in the right place, just needs time.

Yeah, I think the 2009 and 2010 are quite an impressive pair.

David, glad you posted about this. I had it last night, and it was stunning. (bought it at a restaurant in NJ for $105!) Super garrigue nose, excellent depth, texture and mouthfeel on the palate, just a great bottle of wine. Makes me realize I should be putting away 6 of these every year.

2005 is another one in this model. I love the “lesser”/lighter years too, like 2004, 2008, 2011.

I haven’t had the estate St Joe, but I thought the 99 and 09 Offerus bought in grapes versions were a bit underwhelming.

Not unusual for that bottling, and irrelevant to the estate wine.

That’s why I don’t buy any Offerus anxmore.
Had the 2001 St.J. a month ago, in a very nice spot now and an outstanding SJ

I’ve had a few vintages, used to buy when it was in the 40s. I wished I purchased more than I did then. The estate Saint Joseph are seriously-made Northern Rhone syrah.