TN: 2009 Domaine Diochon Moulin-à-Vent Vieilles Vignes

• 2009 Domaine Diochon Moulin-à-Vent Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Moulin-à-Vent (1/15/2011)
    The nose is a puzzle of candied menthol. But on the palate, it’s a serious Moulin-a-Vent: Softish tannin, anise and a melange of blackberry, strawberry and blueberry peaking through. Quite enjoyable and should be even better in 12 months or so. Very Good to Excellent.

Posted from CellarTracker

I like this wine. Can’t say that I’ve had it more than two or three times though. Each time I did notice a similar nose, but it always blew off.

John,
I noticed the palate much more open at the end of the evening, though the nose was still shut. I’m looking forward to having the rest tonight and seeing where it is.

Interesting notes. I picked up my first btl of this producer Friday. It’s an '08 though and… I’m looking forward to trying it soon.

I may like the '08 better actually. Its in a really good place right now.

That’s good to hear! I’ll post some notes when I get around to drinking it.

Day 2: The nose is soft strawberry/raspberry and “basalt”. The palate has softened a bit, there are good fruits and a nice acid backbone. There is a slight drying finish. Overall, an excellent, serious Moulin-a-Vent.
Basalt - Back when I was a kid in Vallejo, CA, a company called Basalt was scraping a couple of hills near my house. It made a great playground for little boys. There is a component in the nose that reminds me of that rocky smell!