TN: 2009 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux

2009 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (1/11/2024)
My favorite Baudry wine due to it's relative price to satisfaction ratio, availability and the fact that I love somewhat rustic, mature wines. Dull, almost hazy crimson hue, with little to no bricking. Beautiful aromatics from the get go. A melange of red berry fruits, pencil lead and baking spices. Lacy, complete, engaging, mature, dare I say Burgundian in texture, with barely a hint of green bell pepper. Just a wonderful and delicious Grézeaux that has shed it's baby fat and has begun what seems to be a nice drinking plateau. Bought a 6-pack on release, have 3 more to enjoy. Do not hesitate to open a bottle.

12 Likes

I absolutely loved this wine on release, but haven’t had it in years (my last note is from 2013). Glad to see this note. I’ll have to pull one from storage this summer. Though I’ll leave the magnums alone a bit longer…

2 Likes

I have two of these in my wine cooler somewhere. Your note inspired me to search (somewhat) for one. But when the 2009 Les Granges passed in front of me I was too lazy to search further. Great wine and I would mirror your note. I would add saddle leather. But saddle leather that has been used and worn in very well and is stained to a dark brown color. Saddle leather than took years and years to reach its current point. And I would also agree, do not hesitate to open, I would be surprised if there was any further upside, this bottle was probably at its peak.

2 Likes

Nice. Will take good data point for the 2009 Croix Boissee.
I don’t have the 2009 Grezeaux but kept a few Croix Boissee from an at-release purchase.

1 Like

A little over 2 years ago someone named Ramon_C said
2009 Bernard Baudry La Croix Boissee, Chinon
Herbaceous, combined with hints of stems added to the beautiful complexity of this wine. B+/A-

Not sure if you trust his palate though.

I have all of the cuvées for 2009 and 2010, need to go pull some of these from storage.

The Grezeaux was sans saddle leather. I was actually shocked at how elegant and refined this wine was as compared to other aged versions. Perhaps vintage influenced? I believe the Grange is the new brand of the village bottling. Not sure where exactly the fruit comes from but I believe a very different assemblage in comparison to the Grezeaux.

There is now a Les Granges and a Domaine, as their entry cuvées. I will buy these in really good years as they punch way above their weight.

1 Like

I’m too lazy to investigate, but what are the differences in terms of fruit locations and elevage?

Not Robert here, but will chime in with what I know. Les Granges in low, flat, clay/sandy lands; Le Domaine in elevated lands with pebbles and rocks.

2 Likes