TN: 2008 Taupenot-Merme - Morey St. Denis 1er Cru La Riotte (France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits)

NOSE: complex and moderately expressive; bitter powdery/woodsy florals; baking spices; red currant; hints of cherry, lemon pith, coffee, and gentle dark spices. Lovely aromatics, although predictably reserved at this time.

BODY: violet-tinged ruby color of medium-light depth; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: initially: quite tannic; good tart acidity; cherry and red currant fruits; green-like mineral aspect; medium-light oak; moderate concentration of fruit; slight hint of background animale/leather; alc. not noticeable. About 90 min. after opening, the fruit did come forward somewhat, but the wine is still noticeably reserved/tight. I’d say hold for at least another couple years, then expect smooth sailing for many years thereafter.

DAY 2:
NOSE: deep red/purple berries; cherry cotton candy; baking spices.
TASTE: still tannic; acidity is still tart, but not quite as up-front as previous day; background hint of gaminess; light-to-moderate oak; red fruits; very nice.

B: 50, 5, 13, 16, 8 =(92+ pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Cool to see the Prooftag technology:

Appreciate the note. Very cool that you write out your tasting notes longhand.

I haven’t seen the security label too often. Looks like T-M got on the bandwagon early.

Cheers,

Doug

thanks, Doug. I write my TN’s longhand for many reasons: easier for me to do it contemporaneously this way than on comp.; I often follow a wine over more than 1 day, and I don’t want to screw around with having a comp. doc. open that long; there’s usually at least a couple day gap (if not a couple weeks) between me consuming the wine and getting around to posting the TN therefore; writing it a second time (in CT) allows me to present my thoughts in a (slightly) more cohesive manner than in which I originally wrote them; I like having a written record; and I just like doing it. [cheers.gif]

I don’t normally comment on any edits to my TN’s, as they’re usually just for spelling, but I feel compelled to point out this one:
My note originally said “alc. noticeable.” It should have said “alc. not noticeable.” To me, that’s an important little distinction!

Thanks…all my 2008 Dom. Lafon wines has this Prooftag.