TN: 2008 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese 'Rotlay'

2008 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese 'Rotlay' - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/14/2023)
I love the wines of Selbach-Oster. It was a 1995 Selbach wine that turned me into Rieslingfan. This 2008 Rotlay Spätlese could have done the same thing. It’s effortless - each element is seamlessly integrated into the whole, as the fresh acidity of 2008 balances the lingering sweetness and the developed flavors add a glaze to the peach and lemon fruit. Time to drink and time to spare. I’ll happily drink.

5 Likes

Have been holding on to a case of 2017 Rotlay. Some day

The 2017 Schmitt was drop dead gorgeous from day 1.

I have 3 bottles of 2021 S-O Rotlay that I look forward to in 20 or so years.

2 Likes

Same, but 2019. Didn’t realize they used to make a spatlese from this parcel instead of auslese… but probably has to do with the year and what served the grapes best.

1 Like

Yes, it varies by year. 2008 was not a year of high ripeness, especially compared to some other recent vintages.

Hmm. I just looked to see what my oldest vintage of Rotlay I own. And it is a 2007 - according to CT, gift from David Bueker! So then I looked to see what selbach wines I have from 2008 and despite having about eight cases of S-O in my cellar (I would have more but I drink ‘em), I only have two - his negoce “Saar spalese” (delicious young and supposedly from Zilliken) and a bottle of the Schmitt - according to CT, gift from Johanes Selbach! Wonder how it is showing?.

Well the 2007 Schmitt has been very good for a while, so the Rotlay is probably in a good place.

I thought the Saar Spätlese was from Bert Simon.

Simon makes more sense.

Very special plot indeed Weinlagen

1 Like

Anyone tried the 2009 Rotlay recently? I tried one a few years ago and it seemed like I needed to bury the rest for quite a while.