TN: 2008 Quinta dos Roques - Touriga Nacional (Portugal, Beiras, Dão)

NOSE: spicy; raspberry and black cherry fruits; moderate oak; intensely floral; reminds me of a high-quality Grenache from Paso Robles.

BODY: magenta-violet color of great depth; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: good acidity; ample tannins; 13.5% alc. not noticeable; well-balanced; somewhat tight; earthy black currant and black cherry fruits; background violet and rose petals; fruit is pure/fresh, not baked; juicy; a bit grapey on the finish; more elegant than most Douro Touriga Nacional that I’ve tasted; tastes good now, but still needs more time. Paired wonderfully with a parma ham appetizer; paired well with a wild mushroom fricassee; decent-to-good pairing with lamb shank.

B: 50, 5, 13, 16, 8 = (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Hi Brian,

Nice note, I’ve gotta get a bottle of this 2008 to try too. A week ago, I had the 2000 Quinta dos Roques Garrafeira from the Dão region of Portugal which is a multi-grape blend. I liked it a lot, nice and soft texturally, but still possessing power due to what must have been massive tannins when young. It still has lots of tart red berry fruit and quite a bit of life to it.

These Quinta dos Roque wines are fairly priced and the importer is near me, so it shouldn’t be hard to find the 2008 you’ve mentioned to give it a test drive. Thx!

Thanks for chiming-in, Roy. I’m really coming around to these lighter more elegantly-styled Dao wines (as compared to the Douros, which I also love). It continues to amaze me the general apathy that most of the wine geek crowd continue to show towards dry reds from Portugal; oh well, as long as it lasts, I’ll continue to buy world-class wines for a song. :smiley:

Great wine, and good tasting but…small correction: Quinta dos Roques Touriga Nacional is one wine and Quinta do Correio is another completely different one, also from Quinta do Roques.

Quinta do Correio is the best example I remember of a perfect quality/money ratio, excellent everyday wine.

Quinta dos Roques Touriga Nacional is Quinta dos Roques’ flagship wine and the best Portuguese Red Wine (2005).

If you happen to be in Portugal this coming September don’t miss the Feira do Vinho do Dão in Nelas - 2,3 and 4 of September.

Look for Quinta do Roques and Quinta das Maias!

Come taste these amazing wines, you won’t be disappointed!!!

Thanks for your input, Jose. I forgot to fix that part of the mis-entry in CT — I got it correct in the thread title at least!