TN: 2008 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Pora

• 2008 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Pora - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (10/30/2017)
    Dark maroon core with garnet edge.
    Right out of the bottle the nose is of truffle, pure sweet dried fruits, blue and black, cocoa dust, foresty notes of fresh evergreen and sage, continues to evolve with some earth, orange zest, and smoke. The fresh spring forest notes are what really make this an experience.

Immense freshness on the palate, long finish, and with air the buried tannin made itself known. A long life ahead, just starting to hint at some non-primary notes, though after an hour or two it simplified, so maybe it will shut down in a bit? Or maybe its just coming out a slumber. Hard to guess.

I have a much higher opinion of Pora after tasting this wine. It is a delightful Barbaresco, unique for the expression the Nebbiolo takes with this terroir rather than any heavy handed winemaking. Will evolve for a long while.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks. I went for the more structured Produttori wines in 2008, so I anticipate a long wait. I still see this bottling around though. Might have to grab a few.

Thanks. Rare Wine had a good one-of-each deal on the 2008 riservas, and that’s all I have. I’m likely to wait at least 5 more years, but this is a very encouraging note!

Some 08s must have been re-released since a few retailers, K&L, Vinopolis, Rare Wine, have had a smattering recently. I don’t have enough experience to know if it is just coming out of a slumber or on its way into one, but its lifespan is definitely another 20+yrs