TN: 2008 Domaine François Cotat Sancerre Les Culs de Beaujeu

• 2008 Domaine François Cotat Sancerre Les Culs de Beaujeu - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (10/3/2019)
    The oldest Cotat I’ve had…and it is brilliant! THAT nose! Floral spring flowers, lime blossom, lemongrass, mint tea, cool sea breeze, crushed rocks. So crystalline and youthful looking…looks like a current release. In the mouth…it’s all about the geology man! Why I love these wines SO much…that killer saline crushed limestone/flint/rock/chalk…you can taste every struggle these old vines have gone through. There is fruit here too…very bright and energized citrus fruit…zippy and tangy lemon lime, quince, gooseberry…also some faint tropical mango and pineapple in there as well. Really nice waxiness feel which kind of swaddles the intense citrus and minerals together making for perfect integration. Finishes long, tart, and spicy…leaving you in mineral Heaven! I’m just blown away by these wines every time I have one…Beaujeu being my fav. in the Cotat stable. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Not surprised by the note more impressed by your patience in keeping these delicious bottles around for so long! Great note Buzz.

My patience was 2 days! Just got um tues. [drinkers.gif]

As always, a nice note and beautiful photo. Also got me thinking that maybe there is no need to drink all my Sancerre on the youngish side.

Jim, with the right producer they’re really worth aging. I’d also suggest you check out Gérard Boulay. His wines need a little time, but are very, very special once they got 3-5 years bottle age on them.

Fixed that for you. [wink.gif]

Cotat and Boulay’s wines definitely need age. I have recently opened Boulay from 2007 and 2010 and neither was ready. But as my edit indicates, I am not sure this holds true for many or even any producers in Sancerre outside of these two.

I. LOVE. THIS. WINE.

Yeah okay but I find both these producers rock my world even at 3 years old. Guess I need to find older bottles [thankyou.gif]

How long do you guys recommend aging the Rosés?

The 89s are drinking really well right now. 96, 2000-05 as well.

The 99s was interesting but a little funky.

We did a huge number of Francois Cotats over 2 days with Gilman a couple years ago. All his notes are in VFTC. We didn’t see everything the same way. But the cool
-ish / balanced vintages age remarkably well.

The best Sancerre i had from Cotat was a Grande Cote 1983 a few years ago. Close to perfection! So 35 years of age is no problem.