TN: 2008 Domaine Auguste Clape Côtes du Rhône

2008 Domaine Auguste Clape Côtes du Rhône - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (11/10/2009)
This was out on the floor at Kermit Lynch, just arrived. Dark, nearly opaque garnet, hints of crushed berries on the nose, palate is somewhat lean, but there is a core of fresh dark red fruit, moderate acidity, and just enough tannic balance. For those (myself often included) who like little or no oak, this is an example of a wine that could probably have used some more barrel interaction to soften the somewhat grapey character. Some air time helps this along nicely. This might be a little shy for its price point ($36), but it is enjoyable and of obvious quality. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

That’s a lot of dough for a Cotes du Rhone . . . Clape notwithstanding.

Well, it is Clape. And if I understand correctly it’s all syrah, and the vineyard is just outside the boundaries of Cornas, so the labeling is a little deceptive :wink:

Yeah, but I remember buying this wine not too long ago for $18. I’m out of date, I guess.

I haven’t seen the Clape CdR but the Alain Voge CdR I’ve seen plenty and goes in the $17-$18 range, supposedly same deal just outside of Cornas AOC boundary and all syrah.