TN: 2008 Carlisle Syrah Pelkan Ranch (USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley)

• 2008 Carlisle Syrah Pelkan Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley (7/23/2011)
    Decanted for a couple hours and let the aromas waft through the kitchen. And boy did they waft! Initial taste on opening was peppery with massive fruit and grippy tannins and some heat. After the decant it started settling down but obviously is still a youngster. Deep dark purple, floral and fruity aromatics with loads of violet, blueberry and red raspberry. Explodes in the mouth with white pepper, blueberry and even blackberry along with dark chocolate and some smoky meat undertones. Real nice creamy texture with layers and layers of fruit. Tannins were still pronounced but not as powerful as at opening. Smoky finish lingered on. Really wanted to see how this showed on day 2 but we drained the decanter chatting after dinner. No sediment in the decanter or bottle. I know I should have let it stay in the cellar but I had a Carlisle hankering and hadn’t tried one of these yet. The rest will wait as long as I can which unfortunately is probably not long enough. Ha! Loved it. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker