TN: 2007 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Cuvée des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre (France, Alsace)

2007 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Cuvée des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre - France, Alsace (7/1/2018)
Medium light honey gold color, this has excellent flavor and depth, tremendous mineral rockiness on the finish, good acidity, great overall balance. I love Gewurz, but it is increasingly difficult to find wines that don’t have significant RS, and come across as syrupy sweet. This is an example of what great Gewurz can be, still. I think this rises almost to the level of the monumental 2001 version. (93 pts.)

Lovely note. I can just about taste it. The only thing missing is lychee. Tell me it had it (even if you have to stretch the truth). Gewurz can be wonderful if the sugar gets out of the way.

Steve, Lychee is not something I use as a descriptor, because I don’t have a good handle on that flavor (though I know it’s a common one for Gewurz). I’ll just say that this is classic, classic Gewurz (at least what I look for). Not a hint of RS, just delicious fruit, and outstanding rocky minerality. Very similar to the 2001 version, which was my introduction to this wine (I still have a few left), which has aged at a glacial pace. Sadly, there doesn’t seem to be any of the 2007 anywhere in the U.S, but I have more :slight_smile:

No one does ‘bone dry’ quite like Trimbach. Sounds like a great bottle. I’ll have to seek some with a few years on it soon.

Trimbach is the Cristal of Alsacian wine. Ridiculously clean, fragrant and crystalline in taste and mouthfeel. It doesn’t need any residual sugar. The glossy mouthfeel and relatively high ABV give a slight whisper perception of sweetness that is just enough.

Most Gewurztraminer tastes quite bitter to me, so I want a little bit of sweetness for balance, but there’s also not usually much acidity, so that sweetness quickly and often becomes too much. The various vintages of this wine that I’ve had all somehow find balance in a dry example, and a darned good one, which seems very rare for my taste. I had the 1989 about 10 years ago and I think it was the best bottle of Gewurztraminer I’ve tasted.