TN: 2007 Quinta do Vallado Douro Reserva (Portugal, Douro)

• 2007 Quinta do Vallado Douro Reserva - Portugal, Douro (3/26/2010)
    Cracked this a few hours ago and poured into the decanter. Been sipping this ever since and what started out a bit lean, leaving me wondering at all the great reviews I’ve heard. After about 2 hours was when this made a huge change and started to pull itself together. I am amazed at how restrained the fruit is yet at the same time has such a powerful and complex presence. It’s especially noticeable on the mid palate and the very long finish where the tannins have slowly built up hour by hour. A little bit of noticeable oak is still there, but this is such a baby and I have no doubt this will integrate in a few years. This is one of those wines that once it opens for business is hard to put down and I’ve almost finished the bottle already. This is another very good Douro that I’d recommend to anyone. Although my only minor quibble is at about $55 a bottle it is a bit pricey. 93 points (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I have read up on Vallado after posts here and elsewhere. Unable to access in the colony here!

K&L just sent me an email listing the 07 regular At $20 and the reserva at $50.

Andy,
I think dry Portuguese reds would be a great catagory for the next berserker exploration week. I don’t know enough about the area to head it, but I know someone who does. flirtysmile

I think that’s a great idea for one of them. I’m totally down and since there are some very good 2006’s still available and the rock’n 2007’s that are now hitting the shelves, there is plenty to be found and most are at very reasonable prices.

Bob, thats a shame you can’t get this. Can you get the Quinta do Crasto, Quinta do Vesuvio, or Quinta do Vale D. Maria Douro dry wines there? All make some terrific wines year in and year out.

a dry Portugeuse wine week would be fun. I dabble in them and am impressed by the quality at the stupidly low prices. Lots of daily drinker wines in the sub $10 prices, as long as you find a wine merchant you trust.

Love to see that. I’ve had a few Ps that I liked, but would very much like to learn more. If only because I like of-the-beaten-track wines, and bargains.

Oh yeah, one store has all that stuff (and more), co-owner is from Portugal.