TN: 2007 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Rio Sordo

You should also consider Vietti Perbacco. Declassified Barolo. Similar price point. Widely available. Avoid the 2009. 2010 should be on shelves now. Might need a bit more time than the Produttori Langhe Nebb.

I like both wines, but for some reason don’t have the Prod. I prefer to spend more and get the Prod Barberesco Normale instead. To me the Vietti at $20 works better.

I think the Produttori Langhe could be labeled as Barbaresco. I believe it’s all from the Barbaresco DOC, from young vines and less intense juice that doesn’t make it into the crus, and spends a relatively short time in large, neutral oak barrels. I just picked up a bottle of the 2011, have always enjoyed the other vintages I’ve tried (especially the 2010). It’s typically a great example of the essence of unadulterated Nebbiolo.

-Al

It is not Barbaresco. Here is the label.

Yes, it’s labeled as Langhe. But I think the juice is all Nebbiolo from Barbaresco (although the time in oak may be a little too short).

-Al

You could well be right Al. This comes from the Prod website.

This wine is produced every year by the Produttori del Barbaresco; it ranges from 10 to 30% of the total production depending on the quality of the vintage (the better the vintage is the less Nebbiolo is produced). It is a second label for the Barbaresco and it is made with the grapes from young vines or those vineyards that produced a less intense and concentrated juice. It still has the quality necessary to be classified a Barbaresco, but the Winery declassifies it in order to sell it at a younger age and maintain the Barbaresco quality as high as possible.

David -

Your thread got me to pop the '08 Ovello just now, though partly because I killed the bottle of Bourgueil that I popped last night. Bear in mind that I really do not know what I am doing/drinking here, but this is really good stuff. Beguiling nose of red fruits (cherry), florals and some light tar. Very meaty, chewy. A little heat. First impressions on pop and pour. Will check in later, but just from an educated guess, this is a major ager.

Yep, that’s it. Younger vines, shorter time in barrel.

Has anyone had the '05 Rio Sordo lately? Not too many notes on CT. I’ve got a few in the cellar and was thinking about trying one soon.

I’ve had Rabaja, montefico, mocagatta, paje, and all are approachable and enjoyable. so I wouldn’t hesitate to try Rio Sorda if you want an early peek at how it’s doing.

It’s just okay. Light-bodied, spicey, almost Southern Rhone-ish, and a bit too much heat on the finish. Would not recommend the '11, but then again, this region is relatively new to me. Loved the Ovello.