TN: 2007 Miani Tocal Friulano Filip

Pale, yellow straw color

Nose: Slight hints of pineapple, green apple and lychee. clean and fresh to the nose. Wet stone finish.

Palate: Pineapple with background of lychee gives way to foamed cream, crushed clam shells, granite and sea spray.

Great, great wine!

Solid A.

• 2007 Miani Tocai Friulano Filip - Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia (5/28/2012)
    Off. Seemed over the hill. Not corked, but not great. A bit oxidized, perhaps VA

Not sure if this was just too advanced. NR (flawed)

• 1992 Domaine de Montille Volnay 1er Cru Champans - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (5/26/2012)
    Pop and pour. This would have definitely befitted from either more time in the bottle, or several hours of slow oxidation. Nose was not very giving. None of the typical Volnay perfume. Palate was a bit confectionary at first. How could this be a 20 year old premier?tastes more like a 2009 village or premier. Opens very slowly Witham hour and a half of air. Cherry taste evolves with lots of acidity (maybe a tad too much?) this seems like it would evolve into something more special with more air or time in the bottle, but I am not sure.

Hoped to revisit day 2, but didn’t come back until day 3. Smelled like French horseshit. Oxidized, dead. Hint of mint. Bah humbug! Need to slow O the last bottle and hope for the best.

B-/C+ day 1

Posted from CellarTracker

Miani is really nice stuff. Have you tried the Saurint (Sauvignon Blanc) or Barraca (Chard)? Two of my favorite whites; too bad they’re made in miniscule quantities, but at least we get a decent allocation in Tokyo.

I got a case of 4 each. Loved the Saurint, the Barraca is good, not great IMO.