TN: 2007 Lewelling Vineyards - Cabernet Sauvignon Wight Vnyd (USA, CA, Napa Valley, St. Hellena)

2007 Lewelling Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Wight - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (10/23/2015)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 days –

NOSE: soft/lush/ripe/fruit shake; oak; fumey; soft/lush/ripe non-descript fruit; fairly anonymous — this could be a big lush overoaked/ripe Central Coast Rhone Blend; hints of mint and cinnamon.

BODY: ruby-garnet color of great depth; full bodied; some sediment present.

TASTE: very oaky; 15.8% alc. is obscene — this wine actually has a malty whisky taste to it; tastes a bit like a Ruby Port or LBV Port; this is pretty gross. Ultimately ended-up dumping a lot of this. Lewelling really messed this one up badly. Gut impression score: somewhere in the 70’s or high 60’s.

My heart sunk when seeing this TN thread, knowing what likely the note was going to be, but a glimmer of hope that age has improved this wine made me open it. I still have a bottle or two, but was so disappointed in them, after this vintage, that I stopped buying Lewelling completely. Looks like they actually got WORSE - wow.

It’s so bad it ventures into offensive territory. This is the one and only year I purchased from Lewelling’s list. I just got the save-the-date email a day or two ago for the upcoming release. Until they start disclosing stated alc. levels before, or at, time of purchase, I’m not going to be a buyer. Huge bummer, as an aged '98 Wight (I think that was the vintage) is one of the better Napa Cabs. I’ve ever had.

I, too, still have a couple bottles remaining. Also have two bottles remaining of the regular '07. I’ll be sending them to auction. I don’t think I could bring myself to post them in Commerce Corner here … unless someone here actually enjoys these, in which case …

Sadly, I had a similar experience with the 07 in the last few months. Just an awful wine. One of the first Napa producers I started buying and the wines from the early 2000s were wonderful and so well priced.

I emailed them after getting the ‘save the date’ and they reported back 14.9% for the 2013. Of course, there is always the 1.0% fudge allowance. I did buy a few 2012s but it doesn’t look like I will get to try one before the 2013 offer. It will sell out in a few hours if history is a guide.

Got rid of all my 07’s after tasting the the first bottle I opened. I had many good experiences with earlier vintages of but that one was just BAD.

Just checked my CT notes after reading this thread and I haven’t opened any 2007’s. I show positive notes over the last year on the 2005 and 2006 regular bottlings. Did they just screw up 2007, or is this a new trend?

The wine is still shedding its whiskey fat. Y’all just gotta have patience. [bleh.gif]

I had a similar experience with a later vintage. It was porty. I should have known better but I bought based on others notes. Not my style of wine.

Well, that’s just wonderful to hear. I have 3 more in the cellar. I guess I will just wait it out.

I remember a pretty nice one I think from 2001 vintage, at age 10 or so.

That 01 is a fantastic wine as well as the 02 Wight. I bought the 11 based on the lower alc and vintage characteristics.

If anyone wants my 13’s let me know.