TN: 2007 Domaine Charvin Côtes du Rhône (Le Poutet)

• 2007 Domaine Charvin Côtes du Rhône (Le Poutet) - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (3/25/2010)
    This was my 3rd taste of a 2007 and the first one that really lit my fire. Massively concentrated, liquid garrigue, peppery and intense, screaming Provencale herbs and spice. Very pretty wine. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker on GrapeStories.com

It’s a really really good 2007 - one of his best CdR’s for years, and a bargain at the price.

(disclaimer: I am a unabashed Charvin lover and have this on my list)

The 2007 CDR’s are excellent across the board. Last night we had an Olivier Hillaire that was in a sweet spot. Thanks for the heads up on the Charvin. Will keep an eye out since I can purchase some daily drinkers and QPR’s.

This was my third 2007, the other 2 being the Mordoree RDB Lirac and the Pegau. Frankly based on the first two I was getting worried that the vintage was too over the top for me. This Charvin was a confidence restorer. Looking back at my old notes I don’t know why I haven’t traditionally tracked down more of this CDR each year, as I always like it.

So one would then assume that Charvin is more ‘old world’ in style, not following the Parker-esque styling that made this the vintage of the universe?

If so, that’s fantastic to hear, as Charvin is a very popular and potentially influential wine, and it could pull the market back to what was traditional for hundreds of years, away from the fruit-shakes.

I love screaming provencale herbs. I will have to try this wine, if I can find it locally.

Chris

This wine is ALL about the herbs. Just very pure. A bit bigger than past vintages. Crazy tasty at $20.

Eric, I tried this last year. I was bad, and apparently didn’t write a note for it, I just remember not being impressed enough to want to buy more. Maybe I need to try it again.
Cheers