TN: 2007 Daniel-Etienne Defaix Chablis 1er Cru Côte de Léchet

2007 Daniel-Etienne Defaix Chablis 1er Cru Côte de Léchet - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (3/1/2024)
On p’n’p this showed a slight funk and whiff of caramel with some lemon tones. Within 30 minutes this really cleaned up. Flavors and aromas showed lemon blossom, eventually turning to chiffon. There’s a lovely saline streak that works with the acidity to really freshen things up. Very precise and pure. Held up very well. I love this wine! It would seem plenty of life is left, and though not in a hurry to drink, I think this wine is in the sweet spot.

3 Likes

I’ve had mixed results with older Defaix. Looks like You caught a good one.

I’ve had good results with this particular bottle. The ‘08 Vaillons, not so much.

Well you caused me to go to CT to check my recent notes. lol

e ### 2008 Daniel-Etienne Defaix Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons

Chardonnay more Options

6/3/2023 - I wrote: NR (Edit)

Both bottles shot. One corked and oxidized. one oxidized.

I’ve heard of people getting off bottles, but I’ve yet to get one. Love these wines.

1 Like

Had this last year and had a similar result as Dennis did…oxidized.

1 Like

Wish I had more. T’was lovely.

That '08 Vaillon though…I was wondering why WHWC would do one of those blowout emails. That was a dirty trick.

Chris, I think that phonetically, you have the most appropriate surname to comment on a Chablis thread.

kind regards
Jeremy

5 Likes

I love Defaix. I think vintage matters in this particular discussion. I think the '08s were lower in acidity than the '07s, overall in Burgundy enjoyable young but not built for long aging.

1 Like

or the knife sharpening thread.

08 has had some issues, I’ve heard. Mine have been fine as have ALL other bottlings. Great value and great Chablis.

3 Likes

Just had an 08 Les Lys off a restaurant wine list tonight- and the bottle was fantastic. Lots of rich lemony flavors with plenty of that classic chalky minerally goodness we love. Bonus: just $50! Essentially no markup at all!!!

1 Like

I’ve had only excellent experience with these older Defaix. Among the world’s best QPR for me.

2 Likes

I had a great run on these starting with the 03s but 07s is where things went south for me. A couple oxidized bottles and then all my 08s oxidized. These are so good when on but I can’t justify the risk anymore. Glad you got a good one. Their Chablis VV is a great value as well that I’m yet to have a premox issue with but haven’t pushed them too far

1 Like

In general terms, I agree with your assessment. The ‘08 Vaillons is problematic, vintage aside. Maybe the wine was better younger. I have to assume the wines are tasted at the domaine, but this particular wine seems to have been held too long. I’d be curious what Defaix’s wines are like 2-3 yrs after bottling.

I believe they age them in tank, then bottle them right before release. So at bottling they probably taste a lot like release. Doesn’t really explain why there would be bottle variation.

I’m in the camp that has experienced very little bottle variation and enjoys these a lot. But I do find the vintages show quite differently from each other. Some more honeyed and rich (eg. 2005, 2006), while others more classical Chablis character (eg. 2004).

2 Likes

Last night I had a 2010 Defaix 1er Cru Vaillon I recently bought and it was wonderful.

1 Like

Defaix’s 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 1er crus were and are lovely wines. I expected the 2008s to be the same (and William K’s review of the 2008 Vaillons tasted at the domaine suggested that would be case). However, when I requested them, I was discouraged from buying them, and I was told of multiple experiences among those in the trade of premoxed bottles. I insisted upon tasting them for myself and obtained samples. All were dead as a doornail. Alan is the only person I know on this side of the pond who has had sound 2008s. Blown out by a retailer? Hmm? I have not tasted the 2009s, but the 2010s are, again, lovely wines.

1 Like