TN: 2007 Arcadian Syrah Purisima Mountain Vineyard

Three notes on this wine in CT, just three. Of the other two not mine, one guy called the wine with brett. Look, that be fighting words for some wineries and I know for me and what I like, I don’t care for brett, no matter who tells me that it adds something to the experience. For me, it’s a flaw and I don’t want it in my bottles. What I find in this wine is all of the saddle flavors, and they keep me honest, my senses sharp as while there is fruit here, there is other ‘stuff’ to make it interesting. Is it brett? Hell, I don’t know but it did take an extra day, and the right temp to make this wine all meld up together, to soften the dominant tones and let it drink more complete. Thanks for reading.

• 2007 Arcadian Syrah Purisima Mountain Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (10/5/2015)
    Only 2 TNs here? I have just one bottle, paired it tonight with orange lentils and garlic bread. When I first opened it, this was cellar temp so it was probably a bit cool and thus tart and closed up. That was 2 hrs ago and now at room temp (high 60s), I can get a good read on the wine. This smells old world to me, with saddle and barnyard and has the sweet leather note too–all of that stuff. The palate has the same notes, the same barnyard impact, along with a fairly jammy core of blue and red fruit in what seems like equal parts. The finish then gets tangy and shows a red licorice. Maybe this changes overnight and I have plenty for tomorrow but I don’t care much for the horsey aromas and flavors, married with what was the bigger vintage stamp from 2007. More tomorrow…so polished off today with a spinach, tomato and sausage sautee and garlic bread. Paired well with this dish and the saddle flavors seem less dominant today but this squarely retains an old world tang, funk and gamy quality. I’d say ready to go but hey, I am the guy that devours structure and acid so always take my opinions with that guidance in mind.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note, Frank. Thank you for posting. [cheers.gif]

2007 Arcadian Syrah Purisima Mountain Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (11/8/2016)
– decanted for 15 minutes before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –

NOSE: a bit high-toned (v/a?); mostly red-fruited, veering into the purple fruits; hints of funk, oak, and stony mineral.

BODY: no sediment; medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: very high acidity; some brett, but not enough to make it unpleasant for me; alc. is moderately noticeable.

Hey buddy–we opened an 05 on Sunday night and it was smokin’
Very restrained with meat/smoke/herb nicely integrated.
This was a great BD offer.

Ha! Oddly enough, we opened an '05 last week, too; I gave it a 93. I’ve always loved that '05.