TN: 2006 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

• 2006 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/31/2011)
    One year in between bottles, the one for this note open a full 24 hours. Very interesting pinot, shows in some respects similar to the last bottle, melding some old and new world. For the old world side, herb, sour cherry, black tea, orange zest and soil notes, much like drinking a burgundy. To the new world side, some root beer, blue fruit and dark color. For me at this point, though, the old world side is much more prominent and I wonder if this would fool some burgundy drinkers blind. Finishes a bit tart with a good dollop of soil notes and truffle. Drink now or hold. I have one bottle left and for kicks, will drink the next one in 2012 to see how this wine evolves.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note, Frank. I have 3 of these, so it’s probably time to try one.

Great note Frank. We checked in on the 2008 over the weekend and it was not giving much. Nice to see the 2006 evolving so well.

This wine is outstanding, and IMO has drunk well from the very beginning. My remaining will be spread out through 2014 or so based on what I’ve seen in two bottles last summer and fall. The '08 is clearly built to age longer than the '06 IMO, and at this point seems to need a year or two to open up and reveal its charms. $0.02.

A bottle drunk last month was very good on day 2. It is my favorite of the 3 2006 Alesia’s that I have tried.

IMHO, with air (splash decant) the 2008 drinks well right now, and is my favorite SC to-date (greater purity than earlier versions). The last 2007 I had was tight and muted, but I’ll try another soon. I have only one of the 2006 remaining, not sure when I’ll drink it.

I suspect our opinion of what is open and closed is just one of the odd characteristics of good Pinot. You see it all the time with burgs; one bottle is great, and the next bottle from the same case consumed a month later might be tight.

Probably a full-moon thing, only half TIC.