TN: 2006 Raveneau Montée de Tonnerre

Stunning aromatics, this bottle is on fire–really in the zone with citrus zest and minerality. Drinks like a grand cru, it’s a super Chablis that won’t last long tonight. Lots of tension from the acidity that makes it a tightly wound wine, the taste buds go electric with this great juice. No rush to open a bottle, it has a long future.

Thanks for note Alan.

Used to be greatest value in “grand Cru” burgundy! :stuck_out_tongue:

a 2006 blanchots was stunning. i just wonder why the 2006s turned out so well considering the heat of the vintage, yet the 2009s i have tasted from raveneau have left quite a bit to be desired. perhaps they just need more time?

2009s were disappointing at Don Cornwell’s tasting. Can’t say why this 06 was so good, but it sure is.

That’s a really positive note. My (small) experience with Raveneau '06s has been poor, like many Chablis admittedly. OTOH, I’ve left my CdBs from '06 for longer and was rewarded with wines that are better than their rep, so perhaps should have done the same with the Ravs!

Alan,

Have you or anyone else ever had the Chapelot?
Jean-Marie Raveneau says it’s more elegant than Montée de Tonnerre.
Some years, it’s blended with Montée de Tonnerre; other years, it’s sold as Chapelot.
I have never tasted it at the Domaine even though I visit every year.

Khiem

Only tried Chapelot in 1990, and I didn’t think it was nearly as good as MdT that year - without the almost shockingly tooth-staining extract and strong acid spine of the MdT. When I bought 2010s after many years of complaining about price and ignoring Raveneau (which I realize was a big mistake from now drinking the early 90s wines mature), I passed on Chapelot that was $20 a bottle less, but not without thinking twice (or more).

i had both the 2014 chapelot and mdt this july…preferred the mdt. the chapelot seemed to be more oaky and have less fruit. perhaps it was not a great bottle or not showing well but it was far less friendly than the already razor like mdt.

I concur, nothing really special when they where younger - not a lot of 06s left…

Happy to see I have 3 bottles of this purchased in March 09 for $79.99 a bottle

2007 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre last night was stupendous - focused, elegant, minerally, great balance and a long finish.

The 06 whites in general lacked acidity upon release and seemed flabby. It is nice to know that they are drinking well.

For sure, but unfortunately, it is difficult that make that assessment when they are young…and always a risk with white burgundy (although less so with Raveneau).

I’ve had the Chapelot before. Most recently, the 2011. It was excellent.

I’m surprised to hear Jean-Marie Raveneau describe it as elegant. Chapelot has the most sun exposure of the Montée de Tonnerre sub-vineyards, and generally produces riper, bigger wines. In most years, to produce Montée de Tonnerre, Raveneau blends Chapelot with Pied d’Aloup, which at the top of the hill is cooler and balances the ripeness with more austerity and energy.

I tend to prefer Chapelot in cooler years, where it finds more balance or avoids rot issues.

Raveneau made such good '06’s Alan. We had a Vaillons with Jerry and Cindy a couple of years ago at La Cagouille. It was so good we had to order two.

I have a case of the 2014, Khiem! One of my more prized material possessions. We’ll have to have a bottle when it’s ready.

I’ve only had one '06 Raveneau; the Butteaux, about five years ago. I found it fat and unremarkable, showing little Chablis mineral, seashell and acid character. I was considering selling my remaining bottles. This thread has changed my mind; I’ll open another soon.

Cheers,
Warren