TN: 2006 Hall Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2006 Hall Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - USA, California, Napa Valley (4/8/2011)
    Dark purple. 2 hour decant. The nose intially showed some black fruit and tobacco, but shut down at about the second hour from when we poured it into glasses. Initially, this was a big brooding wine which was all black fruit, espresso and leather. The finish was locked up with a wall of tannin. As the nose shut down, the palate has opened and offers a bit more plummy notes and red fruit along with some oaky flavors. The tannins are still firm. Short finish.

This is a disjointed mess. Not sure what created the acclaim from WS. Some bottle age would likely do it some good, but the components here aren’t interesting enough to keep me curious.

Posted from CellarTracker

Well that’s a disappointment…
Maybe sleep will help mine

Cheers
Rip

Just an observation about the 2006 vintage in general: either the wines are great or just ho-hum. Not much in between like the vintages around it. Again, it’s just my observation. Normally I find if WS loves something, I won’t.

Opened one about a year ago with similar results.Doesn’t sound like another year in bottle has changed anything.Oh well, more prime rib sauce! [cheers.gif]

Like Mike, I had a bottle last spring sometime and thought it was waaaaay over-rated. A few of us shared it and none of us finished a glass.

It did get a 86 Tanzer and 87WE. Probably closer to the real score.