TN: 2006 Dönnhoff Schloßböckelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Felsentürmchen Spätlese

2006 Dönnhoff Schloßböckelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Felsentürmchen Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (1/10/2013)
Wow! is what comes to mind with the first sip, not long after opening. Packed with flavor and intensity, white peach, red apple skin, backed by strong but well balanced acidity, then a wave of saline and even some minerality poking through the medium sweet finish, which fades slowly over a good 30 seconds. Fabulous, fabulous, and still an infant. I stocked up on this after tasting it at the winery in 2007. Haven’t cracked one of mine, but picked this up in the Berry Bros discount bin for 19 BP. So not a super deal, but worth every penny and more. This is a wine that should last for 15-20+ years and only continue to improve and develop.

With a little more air, this gets even better, holding on to everything it had initially, and adding a nice steely element into the finish. Great wine. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for this. Have one sleeping tight.

Have not touched this wine since 2008. The Auslese is killer as well.

2006 Dönnhoff Schloßböckelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Felsentürmchen Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (1/14/2019)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 - 3 hours –

NOSE: mature(ing) aromas; sweet; hint of botrytis; honeyed; medium-light petrol.

BODY: rich, golden yellow color; spritz upon opening quickly dissipated; full bodied.

TASTE: medium acidity; lightly honeyed; I’m still convinced there’s some botrytis here; concentrated (dried) apricot; warm/amber/spicy; not terribly complex, but it is quite tasty; likely in its prime drink window. Drink now and over next 5 years.

50, 5, 12, 16, 7 = (90 pts.)

Thanks. Have never been wowed by 2006, which was the first I think that was labeled as Felsenturmchen. 2007, now that’s a different story…

2006 is a botrytis vintage, so it’s going to be different, and not classic.