TN: 2006 Denner The Dirt Worshipper (USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles)

• 2006 Denner The Dirt Worshipper - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (8/22/2009)
    Based off of all t he previous notes I wonder if mine was flawed in some way. This was waaaaaaaay too oaky. Oak, Mocha, and extremely ripe dark fruit on the nose. Big lush wine on the palate with dark fruits and some chocolate really starting to come through. This all leads to a long finish full of mocha and too ripe fruit with not much in the way of acid and tannin to back it all up. Ended up being somewhat flabby IMO.

This is strange as when I had this at the winery it was absolutely fantastic…

Posted from CellarTracker

Bummer, man.

What’s the breakdown on this wine? Curious to hear . . .

Certainly a bummer when you have an experience like that - and one that you hope is caused by an ‘off bottle’ . . .

Did you purchase more than one of these? If so, open another pretty soon and compare/contrast. If it IS an off bottle, curious what type of ‘off’ it is??!?!?

When you making it up my way?

Cheers!

I have 2 more as I bought 3 from the wienry. I am definitely going to open one up soon to see what happened.

The wife and I are coming up in the next 2 months or so, I will hit you up for sure!

95% Syrah, 5% Viognier.

This is my favorite Denner wine by far

I’ve enjoyed the Ditch Digger in the past, but recently had the '06 and found it pretty flabby, not bad but 2 glasses was all I could do.

• 2006 Denner The Dirt Worshipper - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (1/15/2011)
    – popped and poured –
    – tasted blind over 35 minutes –
    – 95% Syrah, 5% Viognier –

NOSE: cranberry and other darker berries; spicy oak; cumin; pepper; beefy broth; smells a bit sour; complex Nose.

BODY: fine particulate matter present; dark garnet color of medium-deep depth; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: well-balanced; tad bit of r.s.; good acidity; golden tobacco; 15.6% alc. not very noticeable; touch of coffee; earthy/dirty/dark fruits. Tasted blind, I guessed 2006 central coast syrah. The reveal didn’t surprise me too much, but it was interesting to note that the acidity and lift provided by the viognier did throw me off the track a bit when tasting blind. This wine continues to evolve very slowly since I last had it about two years ago. This still has plenty of years in it, and is, imo, a good notch or two better than the ‘07 and ‘08 vintages of this same bottling.

B: 50, 5, 13, 17, 8 = 93

Posted from CellarTracker