TN: 2006 Clos de Mez Fleurie La Dot (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie)

Nose: Pine needles, cassis, black pepper, worn leather, dark cherries

Palate: Dark fruited, strong drying tannins, leather and earth.

Classic Fleurie but the tannins could be more integrated. On day 2, there were some secondary notes that emerged after about an hour, which was quite nice. I think I will wait another year before opening the next bottle. B-

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I never had the 2006 of this wine (I believe it was the first vintage after Marie-Elodie Zighera took over the estate), so it’s very interesting reading your tasting note.

I tried Clos de MEZ’ Fleurie La Dot for the first time earlier this year where we had the 2007, 2008 and 2009 on the table. 2007 seemed ready to drink and - to me - was the vintage that was most “Fleurie” in character. 2008 and 2009 were far from being ready to drink, but both were more than impressive nonetheless. So much energy in there, so much vibrancy and tension. I found the wines to be quite muscular actually for a Fleurie and I could pick up the Cassis, dark cherries and black pepper you mention. Blind, I think I would have guessed that the 2008 and 2009 were Morgons due to their “dark” aromatic profile. Then again, even though I’m not 100% sure, I think the “La Dot” climat where the wine comes from lies in the direction of Morgon. I had the 2009 again a few weeks ago and didn’t like it as much as I had earlier this year. Still, I think this is a fabulous wine. I just bought me three bottles of the 2010.

Has anyone ever had the Morgon “Château Gaillard” from Clos de MEZ?

The 2006, I also bought a bottle 3-4 months ago and I generally agree with Steve. — I do import this.

I have had the Morgon many times and it is a stunner but these are black, dark, structured Beaujolais that are for the long haul, yet they have incredible typicity. The 2008, for the vintage, is the best I tasted. The tannins, though, win out over the fruit, but the fruit is impressive. I find '10,'11 and '12 to be the best she has made. '09 is great for the vintage. Just Retasted with marie-elodie and the '09 is coming along nicely.