TN: 2005 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Chileno Valley

• 2005 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Chileno Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/5/2011)
    Grabbed an Alesia in expectation for mailer season’s full onslaught (including Rhys). I find I need to remind myself why I buy what I buy every so often, and especially in this situation since I’m making a concerted effort to keep my hands off the Rhys bottlings. It’s a perplexing situation because no Alesia bottling has wowed me the way that a few Rhys wines have. Still, this is a fine effort. Tart red fruits and some chalkiness against a subdued background of woodsy, stemmy notes, and some spice. Very nervy, high-toned, and sharp in a positive way, but also seems the slightest bit underripe (there’s very little sweetness to the fruit). There’s a fine, lingering and plucky finish. A great pairing with a simple greens and tofu stir-fry; that in truth, added weight and got better with each glass. This wine makes me think that even the Alesias need more time than I give them. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note! Agree, that all of the Alesia/Rhys wines seem built to age. Thanks.

Also gearing up for my Rhys order, popped one of these tonight:

2005 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Chileno Valley -Funky fertile earth, chalky limestone, green tomato stems and uber ripe wild cherry on the nose. Very much alive and organic nose. Much more refined and delineated on the palate, sharp cherry and cranberry fruit with a lovely silky texture to it. Medium long finish. Even better with food, where the acidity is even more obvious. In its drinking window, with several good years left.