TN: 2005 P-Y Colin-Morey - St. Aubin - Les Combes

Purchased on release. Popped and poured, and sampled over an hour or so, with a revisit later, after the main course.

A little too nutty … shading into oxidation territory. It’s just at the border for me. I find it drinkable but more out of curiosity than pleasure. Should a premier cru St. Aubin from 05 be in better shape? I really don’t know.

On the positive side, there’s a genuine minerality (in the sense before that word applied to everything) – almost a Muscadet or gruner veltliner minerality. And good acidity, particularly given that it’s labeled as 13.5% ABV.

I’m curious if others have sampled PYCM 05s recently.

The last 05 PYCM was Corton Charlemagne about a year ago. It was still young and full of life with plenty left to go. I’ve never had a St. Aubin ten years old.

Last year, I had a 2005 St. Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly from Sylvain Langoureau which was clearly at an advanced stage of its life, but not oxidized. It tasted like it should have been drunk already two or three years before. Then, I also had a Jean-Claude Bachelet 2005 St. Aubin 1er Cru Les Murgers des Dents de Chien, which was outstanding, seemed à point and incredibly fresh.

Those are only two small data points, but I’d say as to your question that it depends.