TN:2005 Nicolas Potel Volnay Vieilles Vignes

Hard to not check in on the 05’s, although this was too early to be opening this wine. Intoxicating nose of violets, caramel and black, black, black cherry. Really intriguing combination of all those floral top notes with a serious core of ultra ripe dark fruit on the low notes. Quite closed on the palate at first - all leather and tart angular tannic structure. With a vigorous decant and a couple of hours in the glass, more smoky black cherry fruit appears - still on the ligher and more closed side, but I have the feeling their is some great potential there in another 5 or more years.

Thanks for the note. I promptly stashed my bottles after purchase. I have the first set for 2012. From your note, it sounds like that will work to the good.

Jason

Terrific wine when I tried it, absolutely full of tension and life and not afraid to be quite loud.
I gather that Cottin Freres are planning to continue with the Maison Nicolas Potel label without M.Potel in charge, which could lead to some confusion. I don’t think there’s any shortage of stock of Potel-made wines either in NSG or at merchants around the world.

Hi Jud,

How are you doing these days?

I have not tried this one but would agree it’s hard to keep your hands off the 05s, ie the low end ones at this point. flirtysmile

Karl

just popped an 05 Savigny from Potel. Will report back.

Jason

Karl - Busy with new job and new house, but doing well. I will be back in the poker swing this fall!