TN: 2005 Château Léoville Barton

2005 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (6/21/2009)
From a half bottle open for a couple hours before tasting. Dark berry fruit and a bit of espresso on the nose; palate is again dark, deep reserved fruit, full bodied, some dark, lush cabernet fruit on entry, becoming more tightly wound through the mid-palate, with some of that espresso returning on the finish, with a mix of some substantial fine tannins turning a bit chalky toward the end. Actually seems just a touch more open than when I first tasted this a year and a half ago, but still an infant that should be left in its slumber. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m actually surprised this was even drinkable. [wow.gif]
Thanks for taking one for the team but I’ll let mine rest for about 20 years before trying one…hopefully I’m still alive when this beast matures.
Cheers :slight_smile:
Lou

I lied to my kid who was born in 2004 and told him that I bought a birth year wine for his 21st birthday. I bought a case of 05 LB. I will be 75 then. I hope that I am still around to enjoy a couple. [beg.gif]

Thanks for the reference point.

[cheers.gif]

I’m just hoping that I’ll still be around when these are good to go.

Jack,
That’s pretty funny.
My twin boys were also born in 04 and I bought a bunch of 04 bords for them.
As for the 05’s, I’ll probably have to drink them with my grandkids [rofl.gif]
Lou

I like to try and buy one or two halves of wines I’d like to try young, but know better not to. This was one of those, I figured I’d better try it now while still young-ish :wink:

Silverman and I bought several bottles at Costco last year and decided to split the purchase and drink the one oddball. Decanted about 8 hours, it was very approachable.