TN: 2005 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape

• 2005 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (8/19/2018)
    Decanted 3 hrs. Took a good hr in the decanter to get the nose up and running but once it did, great CdP aromatics of X-Mas spices emerged among other pleasant scents. By far one of the better Beaucastels I have had in recent memory, this is a pretty strong customer in its flexing of its Mourvedre muscle, still very impactful tannic structure, and good acidity as well. The big allure for me was the freshness, no porty or raisn-esque shenanigans going on, the fruit delivered a clear cut kirsch liquor wrapped around a bed of exotic spices and iron notes. Back half saw the emergence of a peppery quality and all the while this was light on its feet for being such a powerful wine. Like many, I drink less CdP than I used too, but this was most excellent, borderline superb. My .02 I if you have 1 to 2 bottles, hold for 3 to 5 years, otherwise take a peek for yourself. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. It sounds like it may be finally waking up as I’ve had it 3x(but not in the last two+ years) and it just hasn’t wanted to come out and play

Thanks for the note Dale. I have a few splits of this and have just brought on up from the cellar based on some good reports of late.

This! So, yes, it’s good to know. Thanks!

Great avatar, btw, Keith, though finally I prefer Bob Le Flambeur.

At this point, this is the ONLY CdP I own, so a valuable note. I take that back, I have a few 2005 Coudoulet, sounds like time to try one of those.

Note to self: Alan dislikes CdP, so no need to invite when we drink Rayas or Pignan.

If “CdP” tasted like Rayas or Pignan, I’d own a lot more [berserker.gif]

Alan, I had the Coudoulet recently and it was drinking very well. Darn near WOTN and that was in company of GastelGiacondo Brunello 2004, Liquid Farm Chard, 1996 Montiano & 2001 Aalto.

champagne.gif

The former poker player in me will always have nothing but love for Bob Le Flambeur. But, I’ve always loved the contrast of Jef Costello’s good looks with his completely cold and calculating demeanor.

And now I realize that I’m overdue for a re-watch of Le Cercle Rouge

Yep, this is waking up. I bought a case back on release and have had a few over the years. The one I had this year was a real improvement over previous experiments, which were all too early. It’s very good new; I don’t think it is at peak, however.

I know this is not the place, but thanks for the reference to Le Cercle Rouge, which I’ve never seen. (I know the earlier ones better.) I’ll definitely check it out.