TN: 2005 Arcadian Syrah Purisima Vineyard

Just when I thought I was done with domestic Syrah, I open this exceptional bottle. Sweet cherry fruit and rose petals on the nose. The palate is nicely acidic, with more sweet cherry fruit, and added black pepper and earthy notes. Tannins grip on the finish, but it is so easy to drink at this time. It paired well with our dinner of grilled skirt steaks, horseradish mashed potatoes, and roasted asparagus.

I love Joe’s Pinots, but have been less than enthralled with his Syrahs, and have stopped purchasing them. This one made me rethink my strategy.

1 Like

I like this too. This one has lots of energy and brighter fruit than most. Beautiful stuff. Thanks.

A fan of this wine here, too. Though I share your sentiments, Diane.
I’m no longer a buyer, but I’ve liked what I’ve had.

This one meaning the 2005, or Purisima Vineyard in general? I don’t have any other Purisima but I do have 1 bottle of 2005 Stolpman.

05 Purisima

I love that '05 Purisma, so graceful and balanced, yet intense on the palate and finish. I was less enthralled with the '05 Stolpman, but the '06 Stoplman is fabulous, and very much in the graceful style of the '05 Purisima. I have '06 Purisima, but have not tried it yet.

If you like the area (Ballard canyon), you should try the syrahs from Beckmen (owner of Purisima), Stolpman (just down the road), Harrison Clarke (down the road), and my personal face vineyard in the area, Larner . . .

And don’t give up on domestic syrahs . . .there are some beautiful ones coming out of Santa Barbara county . . . .

1 Like

2005 Arcadian Syrah Purisima Mountain Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (1/4/2017)
– decanted 30 minutes before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over 2 hours –

NOSE: dark berries; light to medium-light oak; cran-cherry; funky garrigue; moderately expressive.

BODY: lots of fine particulate matter; black-mahogany color of medium-deep depth, with slight bricking at edges; medium bodied.

TASTE: high acidity; purple-fruited; a bit earthy; hints of leather (brett?) and ballpoint ink; tannins are pretty much gone; alc. (14.1%) is barely noticeable; still young, but seemingly starting to relax; will probably go another 5 – 10 years in the cellar, with a bit more upside yet. Drink or Hold. Ashley gave a gut impression score of 91, my viewpoint is a bit more favorable than that.

50, 5, 12, 17, 9 = (93 pts.)

I still like this!

THIS^^^.

2005 Arcadian Syrah Purisima Mountain Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (7/26/2018)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 2 – 3 hours –
– 3.63 ph; 6.1 g/l –

NOSE: high-toned; purple fruits; oak; stemmy/olive note; medium+ to high- expressiveness; hint of crushed rocks.

BODY: medium bodied; large-grained particulate matter present; blood red color with slight bricking throughout; color is of medium-deep to deep depth.

TASTE: high acidity; leathery plum; medium-light oak; floral purple berries; very pleasant & persistent black licorice note on the finish; not tannic; very nice. Drinks well now, but no rush, either.

50, 5, 13, 17, 8 = (93 pts.)

2005 Arcadian Syrah Purisima Mountain Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (9/29/2021)
– decanted approx. 45 minutes before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –

NOSE: expressive and high-toned; red-fruited; hints of corn chips and funk; stony mineral; concentrated strawberry; bay leaf.

BODY: medium bodied; lots of fine particulate matter present; blood red color of medium depth.

TASTE: acidity/alc. is a bit spiky (14.1% alc.); touch funky (I believe it to be brett); red-fruited; light oak; drinking nicely right now.

50, 5, 13, 16, 8 = (92 pts.)

Thanks for bringing this thread back, Brian. It was fun reading the old tasting notes, and it seems this wine is still going strong. I have no more Syrah, but still have a few Pinots, which I am enjoying.

1 Like

Had this a year after you back in 13 and enjoyed it. Certainly was not in your face stuff which is what I like about Arcadian. Can’t remember where I bought a bunch of these wines but I know I got a stellar deal at the time.

I remember having a bottle of this back in perhaps 2010 or 2011 and finding the brett pretty intense and detracting from everything else. May need to retry if I can dine another bottle.

Cheers.

I have experienced this with other Arcadian Syrahs, but this one was clean.

Last bottle of this wine for me, and it was probably the best one I’ve had to date. Drink 'em if you’re holding!

2005 Arcadian Syrah Purisima Mountain Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (2/2/2023)
– decanted immediately before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 1.5 hrs. –

This is drinking beautifully right now. Slightly tart red fruits. Not funky. Very relaxed, and coming across as moderately aged, as it’s not-at-all dominated by tertiary elements yet. Seems to be at its peak. Drink Now and over the near term.

I have one left. I enjoyed the other three. I started to get some tertiary flavors from my last bottle on 11/27/2022.

Nice! Aside from the Max, this has always been my favorite of Joe’s Syrahs.

• 2005 Arcadian Syrah Purisima Mountain Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (9/11/2023)
    Effortless - that's the first word that came to mind. It was followed by integrated. All the pieces in the right places, and so a completely harmonious wine. The red fruits are still there, complemented by floral and subtle smoky notes. It seems largely resolved, though there is a hint of tannic grip on the finish - feels like this is about the perfect time to drink up and enjoy. The texture and integration of the wine made it special for me - as if the wine had been painstakingly sculpted from a single grape vine.
6 Likes