TN:2005 Arcadian Syrah Hommage à Max

Decided to pop open as my son Max was in town for a visit. Double decanted about 2 hours before serving. Black pepper, pork fat and blackberry fruit on the nose. Quite smooth on the palate, with lots of sweet fruit with just hint of peppery spice - very consistent black fruit notes from attack to long finish. No hurry to drink, but I’m also not sure this is going to improve.

[scratch.gif]

Good, bad, indifferent? I can’t really tell if you liked the wine, sorry if I’m dense.

Lewis- I liked it, but was not blown away by it. A little simpler with less aromatics than Joe’s pinots.

We’ve been waiting for this wine to unfurl. It finally has. :slight_smile:

2005 Arcadian Syrah Hommage à Max - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (10/31/2020)
– decanted immediately before first taste –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 3 hours –

This seems to be at its youthful peak. It has finally relaxed, and finally unfurled. Some tertiary elements beginning, but this is still mostly primary, albeit in a very approachable and forthcoming presentation. Excellent.

2005 Arcadian Syrah Hommage à Max - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (2/15/2022)
– decanted 75 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over approx. 3 hrs. –

NOSE: tight and a bit alc. noticeable; light to moderate wet stones mineral note emerged at approx. the 100 min mark.

BODY: dark garnet-violet color of great depth, with slight bricking throughout; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: soft, with good acidity; dark red/purple fruit mix; seems a bit non-descript – almost like it’s stripped a bit, although it did perk-up somewhat when paired with steak; smooth; high acidity; not really tertiary, but I’m worried it will fall apart before getting there; perhaps in the front end of its prime drinking window? Will likely check-in again in a year or two.

2 Likes

That is why a score helps! [wow.gif]

This is by far my favorite Arcadian wine. Love their Syrah’s and Pinots not as much but this is one of the great values in the world of Syrah.

Brian I think you have 10 day wine review in your future. Got a few of the 2015 Carl Loewen Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett based on your assessment at Surdyk’s.

ohhh, man! That wine is amazing. If you don’t mind me asking, (1) how much was it?, and (2) did you buy them all? (please tell me you bought them all)

2005 Arcadian Syrah Hommage à Max - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (3/23/2024)
– decanted 1.25 hrs. before initial taste –
– tasted a couple pours non-blind over approx. 1 hr. –
– 3.49ph; 6.4 g/L –
– 29 % Stolpman clone 7, 25% Purisima clone T99 and 6% clone 174, 25% Westerly clone 877 and 15% clone 174 –

NOSE: dark red fruits; spicy.

BODY: magenta-garnet color of medium depth, with slight bricking at the edges; medium bodied.

TASTE: medium+ acidity; slight tannins; red-fruited, but not rich/big/gloppy; a bit warm; 14.4% abv.; some aged Syrah funk a little bit; delicious, and likely at peak. This begs for a juicy hamburger or hunk of meat for pairing. Drink Now and over the near term.

1 Like