TN: 2005 Arcadian Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir

Heading up to Solvang next weekend, and everyone I ask about where to visit while we are in the area is talking about Arcadian. So I grabbed one of their entry level pinots as a little preview. Really surprising stuff at a great price pinot. Considering they only get better from here, I am VERY intrigued now.[good.gif]

• 2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills (3/19/2009)
    Very, very tight at the initial pop and pour, but blossomed nicely over the course of about 3 hours. Nose is quite lovely with delicate flowers, pine, some light strawberry, and what, to me, smelled like a cherry loli-pop. The first glass or so, I found the similar “citrus-laced cherry” as a previous taster, but this blew off after about an hour or so. Once it opened up, the wine showed notes of dark cherries, strawberry kirsch, smoke, and a touch of spicy earth. Light bodied, with a great balance of acidity for structure. If tasted blind, I would have guessed a Bourgogne, without question, as it is the most French pinot I have ever tasted from outside France. I don’t think this wine will ever be a blockbuster, but it also isn’t quite putting its best foot forward yet either. Give it another year or two in the bottle to let those flavors develop. Still, for being Arcadian’s ‘base model,’ it is an excellent pinot for the money, and definitely intrigues me to try their higher end wines. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Jeremy - thanks for the early look on this. I have several of these and will try very hard to wait a few years. The SLH is a better bet at this stage. BTW, you are on a very slippery slope as I see cases of Arcadian in your future.

If you are interested in hooking up with Joe, contact him ASAP as he’s a busy dude on the weekends . . .

Let me know if I can assist you in any way setting up tastings up here . . .

Cheers!

Russ… a little time on those SRH would help, but put it in the decanter for an hour and you’ll be set. [ok.gif]

I know what you mean, but thank god this slippery slope is more like a really great waterslide! [cheers.gif]

Larry…I have already gotten in touch with Joe, and he was gracious enough to offer to meet with us on Friday morning. Can’t wait!

Thanks for offering to help us out with tastings while we are in the area, I would love to take you up on that if it’s not too much trouble. I will PM you.

Thanks again!

Have fun Jeremy. Joe is good folks. Both him and Larry have been mighty generous with the OC crowd and events down here. You are in good hands.

• 2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills (6/9/2009)
    Came home from work to find this open on the counter. I love you honey, did you save me any :slight_smile: This is WAAAYY to early to open this, but it will be very good in a few years. Nose is beautiful, and I would have guessed it RRV. Acidity needs to calm down, but it has the backbone to make it a long lived wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

Wait till you try the Chardonnay Jeremy drool

In agreement with these notes. The SLH is killing right now, the SRH not so much.
Time will tell on the SRH.

As it should be.
Restraint is not a strong point for the weaker among us. [berserker.gif]

This is a rocking wine … and Joe is awesome. Such fun to chill with him.