TN: 2005 Alban Vineyards Syrah Reva Alban Estate Vineyard

• 2005 Alban Vineyards Syrah Reva Alban Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (9/5/2009)
    A bit sweet at first, but after decanting for 2 hours this really spreads its wings. Unabashedly big, black fruit, tarry, some heat, but wow what a joyous palate. I really take pleasure in John Alban’s wines. I have had other Reva’s that are more compelling, but this is still wonderfully pleasurable. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice, Eric! Thanks for the report. We were just talking about John’s wines and his dad, Seymour (Sy) tonight.

I’ve been holding on to a few of these, but haven’t tasted yet. The only vintage that I really have any experience with is '03 which I found to be excellent. If you had the '03 how does this compare?

I think the 2003 is the biggest and best Reva I have ever had. It only continues to improve. This 2005 is not quite in that league, but it is certainly a very enjoyable wine.

Thanks Eric

Eric,

Since you happened to post a bunch of notes at the same time, I couldn’t help but notice that 91 points seems a bit low in light of the words you use in your notes. Do you have a system for assigning point? I guess my scoring “system” is mostly a pleasure meter, so your note reads like a 94 or higher to me.

Ken, 91 was low for this, intentionally low really since I gave it a 95 first time I had this wine. The thing is that I have had a lot more Reva from other vintages, so I was just putting this in context.

Reminds me of an old joke:

A doctor, a lawyer, and a statistician go duck hunting.

The doctor shoots at a duck flying by and misses it by 2 feet in front. The lawyer takes a shot and misses it by 2 feet behind. The statistician jumps up and yells “We got it!”

The 2005 Alban Reva drank at SLONYC last week was absolutely horrendous. One of the biggest disappointments, for me, in a long time.

What a great guy…
How is he doing?