TN: 2004 San Filippo Brunello di Montalcino Le Lucére

• 2004 San Filippo Brunello di Montalcino Le Lucere - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (3/11/2017)
    Pours a med>dark ruby, little sign of age. Takes some time after the cork has been pulled before the fruits emerge, in the meantime, plenty of soil, and dusty leather notes; once the fruit has emerged, all of these aromas integrate to a much more satisfying whole. The palate is med>full, kind of weighty and not so fresh, lifted. However, at the 90 minute mark, the wine finds its stride and has more harmonious composure. This was constantly a love-hate relationship for me. OK, maybe the highs/lows weren’t quite that severe, but there were a lot of moments I was quite glad to be drinking it, and others, I wished I were not. Last year, when I met Roberto Giannelli at the estate he discussed the efforts that have been underway for a decade now, to better understand the soil/land, and improve quality year-over-year; things take time in Italia, though I’ve no doubt that Roberto and his time are following the proper course; hard work and considerable investment will get them where they want to be. I may open a 2010 Le Lucére tonight, I think it might be a solid data point as to their progress. 14,0% abv., drink thru 2027. Two hour aeration is advised. recommended

Served non-blind; solid value in today’s secondary market.

Posted from CellarTracker