TN: 2004 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard (USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains)

• 2004 Rhys Chardonnay Alpine Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/26/2009)
    My first bottle of Rhys chard and if this is a harbinger of things to come then I am as happy as a pig in sh*t and I am not even a big fan of CA chard. This is a stunningly good bottle of chard that is all about complexity with an incredibly unique nose of minerals, wet slate and meyer lemons. The palate is wonderfully balanced with a subtle touch of pear, apple and pineapple, crushed rocks, lemony acidity, that leads to a very long and slightly spicy finish with a kiss of acidity that draws you back again and again for another sip. I had to force myself to save some for the next night when it drank just as well. I’m thrilled to hear the '09 vintage will be the first to produce a relatively significant number of barrels.

Fantastic and encouraging note, Russ. I drank my last bottle of this about a year ago, when I found it still extremely concentrated and showing lots of primary fruit. It sounds like the additional year has helped your bottle along very well. I’m determined to sit on future vintages for much longer than I did with the '04, as they seed to repay it in spades.

Russ,
If you liked that one you’ll be even happier with the other vintages, as I think the '04 is the least good of the vintages so far.

Cheers,
-Robert

Robert, this is exactly why “I am as happy as a pig in sh*t”. [dance-clap.gif]

Awesome note on an awesome wine, Russ. Thanks for it. Brings back happy memories of my lone bottle. Wow, such good stuff.

I need to find me a bottle of this - time to go shopping!

This has improved dramatically from on release (though I hear that pre-release it was showing much better than after it shipped). Like Robert, it had been my least favorite vintage but the last bottle I opened a few months ago was quite special.

Jay,
Thanks for the tip, I’ll have to check back in.

Cheers,
-Robert

Thanks for the note Russ. For me, this wine has been superb.

I popped 1 in September 2007 and thought it was amazing at the time. I was planning on opening my final bottle early next year, but it just might get opened next week…

Whatever you decide sounds like a win-win. Besides, if you pop your final bottle now, I’ll be able to let you know just how good your decision was since I will not open my last one until at least next summer. [berserker.gif]