TN: 2004 (oops, it wasn't 1996) Marcassin Chardonnay Marcass

• 2004 Marcassin Chardonnay Marcassin Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/12/2011)
    This was served blind a the February edition of Leo’s Blind Tasting Club. Visually in the glass, I guessed 2004 Aubert Lauren without even taking a whiff because of the distinctive unfiltered cloudiness. The nose was white fruit. The palate was distinctively California Chardonnay. My description of it was a blend of the creamy Aubert Lauren and the sharper, more mineral and acidic Reuling. That’s not an insult; it’s just that I had never had a Marcassin chardonnay before. There was white fruit, vanilla, a tiny tounch of butter, and sharp acidity with a bit of citrus on the back of the palate. Smooth and easy to drink with a long finish. A great mouth feel. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

PS - I heard the reveal wrong, as Leo noted below. I knew it wasn’t Aubert because I have had the 2004 Lauren a number of times and this was distinctively different, but it was darned close. Blend 2004 Lauren with a 2007 Reuling and you get this wine. And I like both of those as well.

Jay, it was 2004 not 1996

I just verified it and you are correct. I mis-heard the vintage on the reveal. I will fix the note and heading. It was very similar to the 2004 Auberts, but with stronger acidity that made it a bit more “European.”

Jay

Helen recommends that you stand the bottle upright for a couple of weeks in the cellar and then carefully decant to remove the sediment. I actually just carefully move the bottle to the vertical, open and carefully decant. The wine is clear and does, indeed, tast much better…

Brian