TN: 2004 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale

Absolutely Mike, I certainly have no problems with you knowledge, competence to assess and ability to drink shit loads of Burgundy. Not to mention your generosity. We all have own opinions on any given wine at any given time which makes our love of wine so interesting and triggers so much great debate………even at a theoretical level. [cheers.gif]
I guess what I am alluding to is if the base material is flawed, over time those flavor’s and structural weakness are exasperated. With age vegetative, acidic, suphur and tannic elements can overpower any positive elements that a wine may have had in the bloom of its youth and inhibit its development over time. Once on that slippery slope, my experience is it’s the “highway to hell”……. but as you say the proof is in the bottle.

Wayne, if the base material is flawed for sure… but 04 is no different to any other vintage, it should not be singled out. Many say 03 is flawed across the board because of the heat, 06 is flawed in some villages and domaines, 07 similar, even 09 a great vintage has detractors. Burgundy is a region where generalisation should not be applied, the number of different climat and producers makes them worthless.

Mike,
I heavily disagree about THAT!
During the last years I had not one single 1997 Burg that wasn´t at least a pleasure to drink, very good, fine, and some where great (I think they are in a great state now)

• but on the other hand I had only two 2004s that didn´t put me off due to astringency and GM …

And BTW: wine isn´t “all about structure” (as a human isn´t all about bones) … it is all about balance (at least IMHO).

To me structure is more than just bones… it includes muscle, fat, fitness… as a wine has acid, tannins, sweetness, representing balance as you suggest. Flavours (like GM) are face value stuff with no significance other than individual preference.
Presently drinking a 2004 Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Reignots which has much more to it than any 97 I have tasted, including the Jadot GCs, I am thinking the top rated Bonnes Mares and CdB…

It seems that 97s are generally looking pretty good now. This was not at all the case ten years ago when many wines seemed to be going downhill very fast. I have found this evolution quite instructive. I do think,with Mike, that 04 is a more interesting vintage.

Michel Lafarge has grand crus?

The Liger-Belairs were one of the 1-2 exeptions I mentioned!

I cannot agree with this statement sorry.

Gerhard, Liger- Belair being an exception reminds me of the premox thing. Some bottles from there have been notably affected. Myself I think they will come out fine, but at the moment there is undoubtedly a bottle to bottle element. Some will put this down to the varying perceptions of the particular drinker and that is true with all observations about wine, but it can’t be the whole story

Tom, I was planning to stay off this thread , as it epitomizes the futility of having a sane discussion of this vintage, given peoples’ genetic differences. But…you comment about 2004 being much better…other than the vintage’s plague…is like the old saw that at least Lincoln got to see a better play at Ford’s theater than he had the previous time he was there…or…"other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? "

I had the 04 marechale from my cellar in june 2012 - alongside several other 04s (e.g., bachelet corbeaux, grivot echezeaux and a couple others) and my burgundy group - all experienced burgundy drinkers - really liked the mugnier. In fact we liked all of the wines except the bachelet. The mugnier was our favorite.

I opened another bottle this past october and my note says “eh” - as I recall, I didn’t care for it and I suspect it showed some green.

What does this tell us? What you get when you cross an elephant with a rhinocerous - hell if I know!

Tom,

I initially had some reservations as a bottle of Vosne Clos du Chateau 04 showed astringency and slightly green flavors in our vintage tasting in early 2007, but nevertheless it was one of the “least affected” in that tasting (incl. the big names from Rousseau to Vogüé).
Several later tasted bottles were fine, incl. La Romanée 04 in my comprehensive LR-tasting of 41 vintages in June 2012 - the bottle was outstanding (93p) with only a tiny herbal hint.

Hi Gerhard, certainly some wine faults like TCA are real faults but I do not see the 04 GMs as a generic fault, on occasion I have not liked them and even some earlier bottles of this wine were difficult to like. Still, I see the GMs as a vintage character rather than a fault, whether I like it or not.

Experienced similar with the 04 Engels. Cheers Mike

Agree, still it makes it a interesting vintage not being sure how the next bottle is going to show.

Thanks all for the notes on comparative vintages.

I had a number of 04 Mugnier Marechale in 375ml, but finished my last a few years ago. I enjoy green notes but found it to be much leaner of a wine than I desired rather than having flattering green notes. I wish I still had a few to pop open.

Yes [welldone.gif] - generalisation in Burgundy for the beginners.

J. Morris talked a lot about the importance of producers ( including which village he lives and from).

Please !!

Could we not talk about enjoyment of greenliness of 2004 red so that Stuart may join me in this interesting thread … [bye.gif]

When discussing the 2004 taint, could we use a different descriptor than green? It isn’t even particularly green! Can we just call it ladybug or something? Green is okay. Ladybug ain’t.

[winner.gif]