TN: 2004 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Brücke Riesling Spätlese (Germany, Nahe)

One of the more brilliant Donnhoff wines I’ve had in recent memory. Killing right now.

• 2004 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Brücke Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe (11/5/2017)
    Engaging powerful color, and a vibrancy to the layers of petrol and white fruit fragrance that come pouring out. The wine shows great power, and depth of clean but unctuous fruit with peach-honey spike that goes on and on without being cloying. Bordered with a still persistent acidity and a buzzing liveliness that penetrates across the palate in clean waves. Really great showing. Hard to resist pouring another glass. [/i]

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the timely note, Dennis - I am going to a dinner next week featuring Szechuan and was wondering which 2004 Donnhoff to bring - your note makes my decision easy :wink:

Yessir, Bob! And I didn’t note it, but wouldn’t ya know, I opened this with homemade szechuan dry fry beef and red chili oil dumplings.
Enjoy!

2004 Donnhoff wines are showing very well now, and have been for a while.

This is a smoking good wine. Had it a few years ago last time, but, man, it was so good. So full of life.

You guys have me torn. 2004 is my oldest son’s birth year, and we know how well that turned out in certain places. But I’m sitting on a couple cases of assorted Donnhoff Spatlesen and Auslesen that are really intended for him, and you are tempting me to dip. :wink:

If you have cases…what’s a bottle or two? [wink.gif]

You can even give him a sip at dinner as an educational experience. Good lesson in familial love, connoisseurship and the need to sometimes wait for good things to happen …

If you are really lucky he will tell you he hates “sweet” wines and you can keep the whole lot for yourself! :wink:

A few years ago, at a local shop, I stumbled upon a small stash of the basic 2004 Estate QbA, and it was simply perfect - 100pts for maybe $21.99 or thereabouts.

Unfortunately, free Wine-Searcher is only showing Auslese-level 2004s still in the pipeline.

But the lighter-weight 2004s were sublime.