TN: 2004 Château Léoville Barton (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien)

• 2004 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (4/3/2024)
    Decanted for four hours, this is classic Bordeaux - mid-weight, fruit in a supporting role, cedar and yes oak, but where it should be, at the end, adding just a dash of spice. The palate is nuanced, each piece properly fitted to the next. It’s not a profound Bordeaux, but rather a perfectly correct one. That’s enough to make me happy.
7 Likes

Thanks David. Well said. I adore this wine. There is something special about it. As you said, it’s not profound but it is incredibly satisfying. If it were a person, it’d be someone comfortable in their own shoes. If it were clothes, a comfortable pair of jeans. Harmonious. That goes a long way for me nowadays. I need to pop one soon. Thank you again,

1 Like

Thnx for posting the note. Need to echo Todd here. Bought a case on EP. Has always delivered in that understated but elegant Leoville Barton style. Just a lovely wine

I’ve done two horizontal 2004 dinners recently, and Barton was WOTN at both (you can find the tasting stories from the wine’s CT page). Correct and comfortable are both good words to describe its character, but it’s definitely tasty too.

3 Likes

I served this blind with friends in the fall, one of whom served the '96 LB. I was the only one who really liked the '04. I thought it needed more time in the bottle, but was otherwise just as you described it, David. Of course, the '96 outclassed it.