TN: 2003 Round Pond Cabernet Sauvignon

2003 Round Pond Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford (6/13/2010)
One of the richer, fruit-driven Napa Cabs I have had from the 2003 vintage. Impeccable balance. It was a tough year and not everyone did this well. Plump, ripe cherries, cappuccino, and milk chocolate with a tightly focused sweet oak character. Extremely long finish. Drink now. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker on GrapeStories.com

Their 05 and 06 are pretty decent wines too. Their tasting room off the Rutherford Crossroad is very modern and has a great view. A nice place to stop by.

Thanks for the note. I got a six pack of '07 for a sweet deal.

Roy, I agree. It is a beautiful winery.

Are they still pairing small bites with the wines for tastings?

They were on the last weekend I was there, yes.

I hadn’t tried this wine before and tasted the '07 last week, then ordered some. Nice price for the wine. TRB is the consulting winemaker, no wonder it’s good.

Their 2008 barrel sample at the barrel auction in early June (NVV Auction) was delicious…add the quality to the price and they have a very attractive offering.

I tasted 02 through 05 at the winery back in fall 08. Super beautiful facility with great hospitality for sure. For my palate, I couldn’t get into the wines across the board. Maybe it was decant, temperature, I dunno. Wasn’t a fan, didn’t find any body, complexity or depth. Lots of alcohol and heat at the time. Will give it another shot.

wasn’t this on WTSO a month or so ago? I strongly considered it, but didn’t pull the trigger… wishing I had now, as it was in the $20’s IIRC…