TN: 2003 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape

• 2003 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (7/8/2009)
    The vintage characteristics show in this wine, but I liked it nevertheless. I don’t make a direct food comparison often when it comes to wine, but this smelled and tasted exactly like the plum tarts my grandmother used to bake. A yeasty, earthy quality with loads of baked plum and some cinnamon spice. Delicious. The structure and finish on this wine are solid, and no flabbiness, but the acidity could be a little better…the vintage’s heat shows just a little bit in that respect. I’m unconvinced this will get better with further age (due to the deficiency in acidity), so this is a wine to drink right now while the 2001 and 2004, and 2005s prepare for prime drinking.

Pelz On Wine: 2003 Domaine Pierre Usseglio & Fils Châteauneuf-du-Pape (France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks for the note. For me, the regular Usseglio bottling is a great value for CdP. Some are def. better than others, but for the price, i love these wines