TN: 2003 Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

• 2003 Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (12/25/2011)
    Decanted a little over an hour. Dark, nearly black at the core with some garnet around the rim. The nose here shows forward aromatics of cigar box and black currant, but an anise note becomes apparent when you really get your nose in the glass. Full bodied, but not roasted or overdone. Black fruit coats the mid palate transitioning to some tobacco and red currant as it moves to the back of the palate. Some earthiness swirls around as well. Nice acidity persists as the wine opens, and some ripe tannins accentuate the long finish. Great with roasted lamb.

Posted from CellarTracker

I was given a case of this as a birthday present and have drunk all but 2 bottles.

This is certainly a fruity Pauillac, but I find it a little diluted and with a short aftertaste (of course I never said so to the friend who gave me the wine!).
That being said, I would not describe it as a top-heavy, over-alcoholic 2003 by any means.

I also feel that it is no crime whatsoever to drink the wine now because what it will gain in complexity it will lose in fruit.

Best regards,
Alex R.