TN: 2003 Arcadian Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley)

• 2003 Arcadian Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (11/19/2009)
    Cloudy appearance but otherwise an outstanding pinot. Certainly fits the bill of a new world wine with burgundy sensibilities. A very aromatic nose with balance and structure. Also, it has a long finish without a trace of heat. Drinking well now but I think will continue to improve over the next 2-3 years, maybe even longer. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I like this one, too.
Two very nice bottles over the past year.
Trying to hold the last two for a bit.
Nice note.

2003 Arcadian Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (1/8/2015)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –

NOSE: ripe red fruits: cherry/pomegranate/cranberry/red currant; high-toned; savory; hint of truffle; a touch smoky (oak); coffee/oaky note intensified after ~2 or 2.5 hours.

BODY: medium-light to medium bodied; hazy, brick red color of medium-deep depth; lots of fine particulate matter present.

TASTE: ripe cherry — a bit syrupy tasting; medium-light oak note; 14.5% alc. not noticeable; seems pretty open and moving along its ageing curve quite quickly for an Arcadian Pinot Noir; I liked this a little more than my score indicates; probably in its prime drinking window now, as astonishing as that may sound.

50, 4, 12, 16, 7 = (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I don’t believe I have had the 2003, but I do like this vineyard. I enjoyed the 2005 and 2006 - have a 2005 left. Of the 2003s, I only have the Pisoni. I would love to open a bunch of these Arcadians together and compare vineyards and vintages.

Have 36 2003’s … 23 here in PC … 13 Pinot, 10 Syrah. Come back and we’ll have a tasting.

Thanks for the update. I enjoyed this wine more in its youth. Last time I had a bottle was in 2011 and it seemed the tannins were getting a little soft. How are they showing now. I think I am just going to leave my last bottle for a few more years.

Jason

Very little tannin, if any, in the bottle I just had.

2003 Arcadian Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (11/30/2016)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: mouthwatering aromatics of high-toned red fruits, pine, and oak; very expressive; kind of has a cherry lambic thing going on — or maybe strawberry lambic.

TASTE: very good! smooth, ripe red fruits; drinking well now, but in no danger of degrading soon. Drink or Hold.