TN 2002 Domaine Lucien Boillot et Fils Pommard 1er Cru Les Croix Noires

8/10/13 This wine is in a really nice place right now. I believe that a lot of Pommards are drunk too young and while this has plenty of years ahead of it, the tannins have intergrated and the wine has a beautiful floral element to it. The rusticity found in its youth has largely subsided and while not as powerful as some of the communes in the Cote du Nuits this is really elegant and provides power without weight. This producer is rarely talked about on this forum, but always seems to make wines that age really well at reasonable prices. IMHO Les Croix Noires is also underrated and is a premier cru to look at for if you can find it.

Cory

agree that chunky rustic Pommards turn (to some degree) from ugly ducklings into swans with age. I have learned this, too, and patiently wait on the younger wines.

Thanks for the good note here, Cory. Lucien (Pierre) Boillot definitely flies under the radar around here, which surprises me a little. From the Bourgogne to the Gevrey-Chambertin Cherbaudes and Volnay Caillerets, the wines are very good and fairly priced. With old school methods in the cellar, including little new oak, the old vine texture and intensity are on full display in the wines.