TN: 2001 Luciano Sandrone Barolo Le Vigne (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

• 2001 Luciano Sandrone Barolo Le Vigne - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (9/20/2015)
    Decanted for 3 hours. Dark ruby color with scarlet highlights. Nose of plum, violets, iodine, tar, stone. Full palate of pure, potent dark plum and sweet red cherry fruit cut with tar, leather, and earth. Seamless, almost lush texture. Moderate acidity and firm tannins somewhat submerged by fruit. Long finish of red plum and strawberry elements coated with tar. Outstanding and a hit with mushroom risotto. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Have had the 2001 Cannubi Boschis, I think more recently Le Vigne has caught up quality wise, but back with 2001 the CB was flat out awesome at Spinasse with their butter and truffle pasta…making me hungry and thirsty thinking about it.

Kris

Love that Cannubi Boschis. Have not had the 2001 in quite a while and was curious about Le Vigne since I purchase so little of it. This bottle was fantastic. BTW butter and truffle pasta sounds pretty amazing. Perfect for Barolo.

Cheers,
Doug

Sandrone makes so very good wines at all price points. I bought a case of 2012 Luciano Sandrone Barbera d’Alba for $14.99 per recently. It is an excellent wine and at that price impossible to pass up.

I drank an 01 Le vigne last year that was incredible though it would’ve benefitted from another 5 years of bottle age. Had the 99 Le Vigne last month and it was as well too soon, and could last 30 years. One of the best Barolo producers around IMO!!!

Was one of the best dishes in Seattle, haven’t had it since new owners, or know if it still exists. Sandrone Cannubi Boschis 2001 made it a home run.

Michael,

I completely agree on the Sandrone Barbera. At that price it has an amazing QPR. Have had occasional bottles throught the years and often wonder why I don’t buy a case as you did.

Cary,

We visited the winery years ago and had a most gracious and informative visit. They even hired an interpreter on their own to aid our conversation. Wonderful folks and superlative wine.

Cheers,
Doug

This is a killer wine. Ours are still sleeping. :slight_smile:

Shannon,

Not a bad strategy. I probably should have waited but FWIW the wine showed beautifully in its early adolescence.

Cheers,
Doug