TN: 2001 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Estournelles-St.-Jacques

2001 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Estournelles-St.-Jacques - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (8/23/2017)
I had the opportunity to drink the 2001 and 2006 side-by-side, which was a very instructive experience. Other than the 2006 still having more red fruit depth (no surprise), the wines were incredibly similar, down to the iron/mineral core that was totally apparent from first sip to last. I was expecting to see a little more Jadot “house style” imprint, but both wines were quite transparent to their site. I came away with the impression that the vintages are not all that different, just 2001 being farther along, and ready to drink, while the 2006 (which had been double decanted 12 hours earlier, versus a mere 2 hours of slow ox for the 2001) was open and good to go, but could still benefit from a few years (2-3) of age. Finishing off the last bits about 3 hours after we started, my impressions were consistent.

I will be queuing up my six remaining bottles of the 2001. If I had the 2006 I would sprinkle them in, but be in no hurry. Lovely wines both.

Posted from CellarTracker

My favorite wine from Jadot on a QPR and consistency basis. Thx for data points. May try 08 soon …

I used to love the QPR. Now that it’s $115-$130, the QPR is not so clear.

I’ve always suspected that 06 may turn out like 01.

Not sure if this a function of vintage or producer signature but I like it!

Any reports on the 2002?

OMG … I had no clue that’s current going rate… I remember paying in the 40s for 06 and 08 …I guess I should have said historically! :angry:

Interesting comments David. I recently had the 2001 and 2006 (blind) Bachelet Charmes side-by-side and noticed the same sort of similarity.

Any clue, how the Jadot CSJ 2001 is drinking currently? Will it be tighter than the Estournelle?

Howard - I am beginning to think there might be a real kinship between the two vintages. I would be OK with that.

Gilberto - sorry, but my lone '01 Jadot CSJ is buried in a stack of boxes. Maybe I will dig it out this winter. I am pretty sure it is sitting next to an '01 Jadot Bonnes Mares, which could make for a fun evening!

2001 CSJ is still showing a bit of oak …needs time based on showing a couple of years ago.

Had the 2001 Jadot CSJ a few months ago. Didn’t notice a lot of overt oak. Quite nice and certainly enjoyable, but seemed to be holding a bit in reserve. I’m going to wait another year or two on further bottles.

No sh!t… just checked CT and I bought my 06’s for $34.99 !!