TN: 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese

I just went back and read your notes and you are right. Pretty much the same notes. Super lively and electric wine. I would have love to try an 81 too! [cheers.gif]

Helpful info, thanks for posting.

Ok, for fun I’ll be a dissenting voice.

I don’t think Prum 01s NEED any more time and the WS Spatlese has been drinking really well for several years at least.

That’s not to say they are fully mature but for my tastes they don’t need to be fully mature to be delicious and enjoyable.

I actually agree with you, but just not for my preferences.

I agree as well Russell. The bottle I had was excellent. I assume the Spatlese is amazing right now. I honestly think the bottle of Auslese I had is more to my personal preference now than it will be in a a decade or so, but with little experience I am looking forward to seeing what the difference will be in a few decades. I prefer a bit more fruit and roundness than most probably prefer.

2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (9/22/2023)
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours on Day 1; revisited on Day 4 –

Everything about this is “young for a 22 yo wine.” Youthful color, Nose, and Palate. An elegant Auslese. Medium-light to medium petrol note; concentrated apricot and tangerine flavor. Truly marvelous, and now possibly in its Prime Window, where I suspect it will stay for at least another decade.

3 Likes

Thanks Brian

It’s been awhile since I have posted so I have a lot of catching up to do. I’m on a cruise right now and brought a bottle of the 2001 Auslese to enjoy on the boat. I will def share some thoughts as well. Love that people are enjoying this great vintage!

I hope your bottle shows well. Enjoy your boat ride!

1 Like

Magnificent wine. Thanks for another check-in.

1 Like

We had a couple of weeks ago. A beauty.

2 Likes

Thanks. I will have to pull a couple from storage soon. The GKA was much more open recently than 3 years ago and I presume the white cap will be even more so!

2 Likes

Now my only issue will be trying to find another bottle to replace the one I’m drinking tomorrow :smile:

I’ve opened a few bottles of this in the last 12 months and each has been majestic and probably not yet at peak. A wine for the ages.

2 Likes

Oh wow. I wish I had more GK for sure. I didn’t start collecting/buying until 2015 so the older stuff I have to really search for. Would love to hear more about the GK sometime.

Brian - Do you happen to know the AP? There were multiple foudre bottled separately. I’m planning to open an '01 JJP WS Spat soon. Can’t wait. Leaving the Auslese for a few more years.

I didn’t make note of it this time, despite my standard practice to do so. Sorry.

Hope the Spat. shows well — I imagine it will. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just got lucky and European Wine Resource had cases and cases of both the white cap and GKA available back in 2020 and I was forward thinking enough to snatch up a couple of cases of each. And it turned out they were of perfect provenance and have shown absolutely beautifully.

2 Likes

That is awesome. Just let me know when you want company or decide you suddenly dislike reisling :slight_smile:

Looks like EWR has 15 bottles of the 01 GKA at $165. I paid $150 3 years ago so that seems pretty good. Unknown if the provenance is as good as the last batch.

https://www.europeanwineresource.com/websearch_results.html?kw=Prum

1 Like

Thanks Andrew! I just picked up a bottle for our next anniversary. I have a couple of the white cap left but only 1 2001 GK and 1 2001 GK half bottle so it’s always safe to have another :). Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like