TN: 2001 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Fuées

• 2001 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Fuées - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (9/21/2012)
    Outside of the cork covered in nasty fungus. Popped and poured. Light ruby color. Nose of black raspberry, schist, violets, earth, anise which progressed all night to become a blast of pure perfume. Sharply acidic on the palate with layers of raspberry, blueberry, plum, and licorice. With time the the palate filled out with authority and intensity, somehow managing to be ethereal at the same time. Austere structure with fine-grained tannins, leading to a long, mineral-inflected finish with echoes of dark fruit. The last sips were the best. Beautiful expression of Chambolle, and very, very young. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I love Mugnier, and think Fuees may be their best QPR. Nice note.

Nice note, Doug.
Sounds great

Sounds great, I am a big fan of the Fuees though increasingly hard to get much of it like these days…

This is so nice. I think I have one more. (I hope) Thanks for the note Doug.

Brady, Dennis, Mike, Don,

I really enjoyed this. Les Fuees has a harder edge, but is still so Chambolle. I think there are many years left in the tank. Wish I had bought more.

Cheers,
Doug

Great note Doug. We had an 01 Dujac Gruenchers with lunch yesterday that sounded quite similar without the sharp acidity.

Jeremy,

2001 seems to be coming into its drinking window a bit. The Mugnier initially had an almost fizzy nature, but settled down after about half an hour. Would very much like to sample the Dujac someday.

Cheers,
Doug

Used to be the value buy of the Mugnier range IMHO, and the '01 version was actually one of my favorite of all of his wines…

Paul,

Late to the game so I did not experience it as a value buy, but what an introduction to Mugnier’s portfolio.

Cheers,
Doug