TN: 2001 Giuseppe Rinaldi Barolo Brunate Le Coste (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

At first bouillon, balsam, savory, and tarry notes dominate the note, but after a few minutes in the glass, it freshens up and gained perfume, with rose petal, red nebbiolo fruit, and porcini. Full bodied, yet deft and balanced. It’s structured, yet simultaneously supple and sappy on the palate, with a little darker fruit than the nose suggests: more tar, roses, porcini, and balsamic notes. Deep and detailed, it’s savory and umami as much as fruit and floral driven on the palate. It gains focus and perfume with time in the glass, and by the end of the night has become a little more balsamic. Very long on the back end. Drinking very well now with plenty of time in hand. Outstanding but not at the heights of the most recent bottle. 94 (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

When you read through the CT tasting notes, this is a real Jekyll & Hyde wine - glad to see that you opened a “good” one. [cheers.gif]

My stash has been buried since I got them, but one of these days I’m going to have to find them and open up a bottle just to see what I think.

Yes, this is right; I have 3 and the only one I opened was definitely off, though unfortunately it could have been whence it was sourced–a wine shop, but perhaps not of the highest echelon.

In any case, thanks for the note. I tend not to open Baroli once it gets warm, but maybe I’ll pull one this winter. Seems about time.