TN: 2001 Domaine Maume Mazis-Chambertin

• 2001 Domaine Maume Mazis-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru (1/20/2011)
    I think I was the only one in the group who loved this last night. I heard descriptors like sweaty nose applied to it. That might have been but I couldn’t tell as my sinuses were acting up at Heidis. I thought I was experiencing the onset of a cold but by the time we left I was fine and perfect at home. So I can’t talk about the nose on this wine or most them with any assurance but the palate was classic, pure, lacy, elegant with a nice finish. Annother great '01. I love '01 and wish I owned more wines from the vintage! This reminded me of many Rousseaus I’ve had. This is not modern but happily not rustic either. We had a ton of wine there last night or I would have finished the remaining glass left in the btl. I did offer it to Kyle thier front of house guy and hope he enjoyed it. Happy I have one more and will likely drink it too soon. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note Craig.

Had a bottle last April and it was drinking quite well, although probably could have used a little more decant time (only got a few hours of slow-oxygenation). Didn’t get the sweaty nose on my bottle (and my nose was working fine at the time). Agree that '01 has some attractive wines with many showing well now.

Interesting you mention not modern but happily not rustic, as Bertrand had taken over by this point from his father (who made historically rustic, long-lived wines) but had not yet incorporated some of the modernization that I had heard occurred. This was one of the first domaines I learned about when discovering Burgundy and have really enjoyed his '99-'02 vintages. Haven’t tried any recent vintages to confirm if there was further stylistic shift, as I have heard.

Opened this last month and my notes were similar to yours. My friends who I opened it for are not burg drinkers but they loved it.

I really enjoyed the spice and orange zest on the nose. Some reduction on the palate like most of the 2000’s maumes I’ve had but still enjoyable.

Nice to hear good views on '01s in general. Just read Alan Weinberg’s note on the '01 Vogue Musigny as well…

With the other note , from Steve Sigmond, from the same event…you do have to wonder what was “going on”, as they had a whole flock of “flawed” wines.

At the very least, it does make you take people’s tasting notes with a grain of flaw…no matter how good you think they might be at it. I saw that with the 2004s…and other vintages.

The event sounds like a Coen Bros’ movie, with Frances McDormand coming in from the Dakotas to serve the meal.

Steve Sigmond’s notes on this wine: # 2001 Domaine Maume Mazis-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru
Sweaty, cheesy nose that only partially blew off. The palate is dull, tart, and metallic, with some odd, cheesy red fruit flavors. Not what it should have been – guessing low-level TCA. NR (flawed)

[scratch.gif] [scratch.gif]

And, I’d guess that Bertrand still has a formidable task ahead of him to get the “rusticity” totally out of the Maume wines. I visited several times when Bernard, his father, was in control…and always appreciated what they were doing there…and liked many of the wines, too. But, they were not modernistas.